John Mulaney opens up about his very unfunny drug intervention

The past 12 months have been rough for everyone in many ways, and beloved comedian John Mulaney is no exception. Appearing on Late Night with Seth Meyers, Mulaney spoke candidly to the host about his difficult year, as well as his ongoing recovery from his widely publicised substance abuse. In particular, the two shared details on the intervention Meyers and several other comedians held for Mulaney, which resulted in his last stay in rehab.

"I needed to be the smartest person in the room even at the intervention," laughed Mulaney. "So I remember saying to all of you, 'before you all read your letter, I have a drug problem and I need help.' Just to scoop you."

Mulaney also recounted his insistence that he was sober during the event (spoiler alert: he wasn't), and his attempts to get credit for the days he hadn't been intoxicated ("That was a really weird hill to die on.")

"It was like a 'We Are The World' of alternative comedians over the age of 40," said Mulaney. "So many funny people, and then no-one did bits the entire time."

"I think you know the gravity of a situation when Fred Armisen is not doing a bit," said Meyers.

"Fred was serious," agreed Mulaney. "Do you know how off-putting that is? Fred was like 'Hey, John. I'm really worried about what you're going —' and I was like 'Stop, stop! I'll go, I'll go!'"

Fortunately Mulaney seems to be doing a bit better now. The comedian spoke briefly about his divorce, romantic relationship with actress Olivia Munn, and confirmed rumours that the couple are expecting their first child.

"She got to date me right out of recovery, which is what they call a reverse catch," joked Mulaney. "It's like newborn Bambi legs, you know how when Bambi's born Bambi's like, 'hey, I used to be on cocaine!'"

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.